Home > Undergraduate > Academics > Study Abroad > Pompeu
CBA Exchange Partner: Pompeu Fabra University, Barcelona Spain
"The UPF is a university that is committed to public-institution values; it is a city university engaged in the active, dynamic life of the city of Barcelona, and a university that is wide open to the world beyond. Public, city-based, and cosmopolitan: those are the values that identify us as an institution working in the service of society.
Our primary aims are to educate responsible professional people and citizens committed to the values of civic life, and to contribute to the development of research, the transfer of technology and the cultivation of innovation as the driving forces behind progress for society in the twenty-first century. Continuous innovation and improvement in teaching and in technology, the good academic performance of our students, the successful passage of our graduates into the professional world, the university's high internationalization index, and its high standing in the sphere of research: these all feature among the aspects that contribute to the reputation our institution has been building up over the fifteen years of its history. We are now in a position to state that the UPF's activity indicators are a benchmark for Catalonia's university system."
-Excerpt, "A word of welcome from the rector": http://www.upf.edu/universitat/en/presentacio/salutacio.html
Barcelona is the capital of Catalonia and is the second largest city of Spain. It has a population of 1,600,000. The city's origins can be traced back to the first century before Christ and the Roman colony of Barcino. Its two thousand years of history have left their mark on the city's architectural, artistic and cultural heritage. Its excellent location in terms of international communication, its Mediterranean climate and its cosmopolitan character make it a particularly privileged city.
You can find further information on Barcelona and Catalonia by visiting:
- Ajuntament de Barcelona, Barcelona's City Council
- Generalitat de Catalunya, the Autonomous Government of Catalonia
Exchange Quick Facts
- Enrollment - 8,437 students
- Full-time and visiting professors - 1,304 teaching and research staff (812 full-time equivalent)
- International partner universities - Study Abroad Programme: 905 students 2007-2008, 6% of full-time undergraduate students are from abroad
- Academic Semester - Fall -beginning of September through end of December
-Spring -Beginning of January through end of April
Prospective exchange students to UPF need to be:
- officially nominated by the home university, currently enrolled in the College of Business Administration, and the recipient of the Elizabeth Luke - Gabriel Zamorano Scholarship
- have maintained at least a 3.0 GPA
- junior student in standing
- taken a minimum of three semesters of Spanish, college level, prior to application
For additional eligibility requirements, please review the Luke/Zamorano Scholarship flier and application:
- Fall or Spring Semester: February 25th
- Students must be nominated by the CBA Study Abroad Coordinator prior to completing the online application. Please contact Krysta Hougham for additional details. Students must apply for this opportunity by February prior to the academic year students plan to participate.
Language of instruction
English, Spanish and Catalan
- HESP courses: http://www.upf.edu/international/study/academics/offering_0910.html
- UPF courses: http://www.upf.edu/international/study/regular_0910/
- ESCI courses: http://www.upf.edu/international/study/esci_09_10.html
- Language courses: http://www.upf.edu/international/study/regular2.html
- Off-Campus housing, no on campus/university owned housing is available.
- For resources on housing in Barcelona, please access: http://www.upf.edu/international/living/accommodation.html
Approximate Living Costs (in local currency):
- Accommodation: €400 /month
- Essential Daily Living expenses: €20/day
- Public Transport: € 112 EUR - Travel card T-Joven (90 days)
- Health Insurance: HTH through Pitt varies depending on length of stay.
- Books and classroom materials: € 50/term
- Total: From €800 - €900/month approx.
- Student visa (must apply in person at the New York Spanish Consulate)
- Health insurance, purchased through Pitt or a suitable alternative provider that covers the student's stay in Barcelona.
Financial Aid & Scholarships
State, Federal, and campus-based financial aid, with the exception of Federal Work-Study, will in most cases apply to a student's study abroad experience. Students should contact the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid in order to verify all Financial Aid eligibility information. In order for a student's financial aid to apply, s/he must complete the Study Abroad Contract. Once a student speaks to a financial aid representative, that representative will sign the student's contract. At this meeting, students should be prepared to discuss the Cost of Attendance Increase Form.
- All details subject to change based on economic and international factors.
- For more information, access the International Exchange Student page at: http://www.upf.edu/international/exchange/
Interested in this exchange program?
CBA Study Abroad Coordinator
2600 Sennott Square